WHALE OF TRAIL RULES & REGULATIONS
- Competitors need to be 18 years or older to enter.
- Running under someone else’s number will result in disqualification.
- If you withdraw from the event, competitors must notify the race timekeepers or a marshal immediately.
- Compulsory equipment is non-negotiable. Failure to comply will result in time penalties or disqualification, at the Race Director’s discretion.
- Competitors are to follow and complete the entire course as designed by the Organiser.
- It is the competitor’s responsibility to check in at all check points. Failure to do so will result in a DNF.
- No physical support is allowed. Any form of physical support will lead to the competitor’s disqualification.
- Supporters are welcome at the start and finish. Unfortunately no public access is permitted on the CapeNature jeep tracks that we use for our race safety vehicle access and there is no way to reach the checkpoints unless you run there.
- Supporters are to have read these Standard Rules and Regulations.
Competitors are to adhere to the following stipulations at all times:
- Picking of flowers, cutting of walking sticks and/or any damage to the natural vegetation is prohibited.
- Competitors must stay on the marked course at all times.
- No tree, rock, etc. may be defaced in any manner.
- Littering in any way is prohibited.
- Competitors are to comply with any instruction or request issued by a Cape Nature official.
- All vehicles are to be parked in the designated area.
- The event is strictly a NO SMOKING event. No fires are allowed anywhere on the reserve.
- Transgression of any of the above will render the competitor to disqualification.
- No dogs allowed.
- Any individual who tests positive for illegal substances (as specified by WADA list) will be barred from all events for a minimum period of two (2) years.
- Any individual, male or female, will be barred from all events for life if found to have used physical violence during the course of the event.
- Abusive language will not be tolerated. Persons wishing to express outrage will do so in a controlled manner.
- Competitors crossing the finish will be given a “line finish position”. This is pending the outcome of illegal substance test results, complaints and/or any further information coming to the organisers’ knowledge.
- The first competitor to complete the event, having complied with all rules and regulations, will be considered the winner.
- Any abuse of or disregard for instructions given by race marshals to any competitor will result in immediate disqualification.
Refunds and Substitutions
- 70% refund (of whole entry fee) possible up until 18th May 2018 (3 months before the event) following a written notification of withdrawal.
- Substitutions, with a R700 fee, possible up to 12h00 Friday 10th August 2018 (8 days before the event).
- Substitutions will be offered to those on the waiting list first, before runners are able to offer to their contacts. Substitution fee will still apply.
- No transfer of entry to future events.
- Paramedic crews will be available for medical treatment and consultation.
- Medical treatment is limited to basic first aid and advice. Should a competitor require advanced life support, active fluid replacement therapy (IV), the administration of any oral or intravenous drug, then that competitor, subject to the Race Director’s final decision, will be prevented from continuing with the event.
- The medical crew has the authority to withdraw a competitor from an event should the competitor’s further participation in the event possibly result in permanent injury, disability or death to the competitor.
- Competitors are obliged to carry their personal medications on them. The medical crew will not be on hand to supply personal medication should the competitors concerned have failed to supply their own.
- The medical crew will provide immediate emergency treatment and stabilisation. Should a competitor require transport by road or air ambulance, the cost of any transport out of the race environment will be carried by the patient
- Competitors are strongly advised to take appropriate insurance against the costs of emergency evacuations and repatriation.
Complaints & Appeals
- Any competitor wishing to appeal or complain any aspect of the event can do so. Complaints are to be received by the Race Director within 30 minutes of the competitor crossing the finish line. Complaints may only be made with firsthand knowledge. No second-hand reports will be accepted or considered.
- In the event of there being discrepancies in finishing positions resulting from such reports and/or complaints, the Prize Giving will only take place after a verdict has been reached by the Race Director.
- Positions announced at Prize Giving are subject to the results of illegal substance tests and any further findings brought to the attention of the organisers.
- Any objections to positions announced at Prize Giving must be given immediately, once prizes have been handed over, the results will be final.
- Winners must be present at Prize Giving to qualify for prizes.
- Appeals regarding decisions are to be received by the Race Director within 30 minutes of the decision.
- The Event Organiser, as advised by senior marshals, will consider appeals.
- Any competitor who has not completed the entire course will be disqualified.
- Any competitor found to have transgressed the rules and regulations of the event and/or acting contrary to the spirit of the event will be liable for disqualification.
- The Race Director may impose a disqualification or penalty taking into consideration the spirit of the event. A statement will be requested from the applicable competitor should he/she wish to explain or justify his/her actions.
- Any competitor refusing to undergo testing for illegal substances will be disqualified.
Spirit of the Event
- Where one competitor finds another in need of medical attention – they must stop to assist.
- Abiding by the rules and regulations of this event and sport.
- Being eco-friendly, polite and prepared to assist a fellow man in need.
- Not misleading organisers and/or marshals with inaccurate/incomplete information.
- Not removing direction boards or signage of any sort.
Competition Terms and Conditions
- Your acceptance of a prize (in the event that you win a prize) constitutes your binding acceptance of the terms and conditions on behalf of yourself and your chosen partner with whom you may share a prize (in the event that you win a prize which is for you and one or more additional persons (“your partner”). All standard race rules and regulations apply to prize winners too, they can be found here- http://whaleoftrail.co.za/race-info-rules/rules-regulations/.
- The prize includes two entries to the 53km Whale of Trail event on the 18 August 2018. Each entry includes Entry includes: Permit and unique opportunity to run this trail, CapeNature fee for De Hoop Reserve and the trail, paramedic support with 4×4 vehicles (excludes helicopter evacuation, or any hospitalisation transport, which will be at the athlete’s cost), tog bag, transfers to and from race venue to start and finish points, water tables with food on the route, Friday night briefing dinner, Saturday night prize giving dinner, meal at finish, complimentary leg massage at finish, finisher’s medal. It excludes accommodation and travel and any other costs that may incur.
- Prize winners will be expected to provide consistent commentary and content around their training journey and event that Mountain Runner Events can use on their digital platforms.
- The prize winner can choose one running partner. Entry forms for both the prize winner and running partner must be completed within 10 days of accepting the prize. The winner is allowed to make one ‘partner substitution’ before the race, should the running partner not be able to partake.
- Acceptance of the prize binds you and your chosen partner to partaking in the event. On accepting the prize yourself and your partner will each be required to pay a R1000 refundable deposit that will be paid back when you line up to start the event. If you pull out within four weeks of the start, or do not show at the start, the deposit will not be refunded. If either of you cannot race, more the four weeks notice is required so that the entries can be given to the next available and fit candidates.
- The competition is not open to
6.1 directors, members, partners, agents, employees or consultants of Mountain Runner Events, Merrell or SP Wealth; or any supplier of goods or services in connection with a competition; and
6.2 the spouse, life partner, business partner or associate, or the natural or adopted parent, child, or sibling, of any of the persons specified in above.
- Entrants under the age of 18 must obtain permission from their parents or guardians before entering.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your entry is received by us prior to the closure of the competition. Any entries which are not received by us prior to the closure of the competition will not be eligible to participate, regardless of the reason for the late entry.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that any information which you provide to us is accurate, complete and up to date. Should any of the data provided by yourself in connection with this Competition prove to be invalid, inaccurate, false or misleading, your entry shall be disregarded and you shall be prohibited from entering any further competitions.
- Any costs or expenses which you may incur other than in respect of those items specifically included in a prize are for your own account. Mountain Runner Events will not be responsible for any costs or expenses which you, or your partner (if applicable), incur during and for purposes of your entry into the competition and your acceptance and/or use of a prize.
- Prizes are not transferable and may not be deferred, changed or exchanged for cash or any other item.
- The winners will be notified by means of the email address provided on entry. If we are, or a third party supplier is, unable to contact a winner within 5 days or if the winner is unable to use the prize , the winner will forfeit the prize and Mountain Runner Events reserves the right to re-draw a new winner under the same conditions.
- We may require you to provide us with additional information and documentation as we may reasonably require in order to process, confirm and facilitate your acceptance and/or use of a prize. If you refuse to provide us with the requested information or documentation, you will forfeit the prize.
- We and our third party suppliers, as the case may be, reserve the right to vary, postpone, suspend, or cancel the competition and any prizes, or any aspect thereof, without notice at any time, for any reason which we deem necessary. In the event of such variation, postponement, suspension or cancellation, you agree to waive any rights, interests and expectations that you may have in terms of this competition and acknowledge that you will have no recourse against us, our affiliates and third party suppliers.
- You agree that your participation in the competition, and your acceptance and/or use of a prize, or any aspect thereof, is at your own risk.
- We and our affiliates will not be responsible, and disclaim all liability, for any loss, liability, injury, expense or damage (whether direct, indirect, incidental, punitive or consequential) of any nature, whether arising from negligence or any other cause, which is suffered by your participation in the competition or the acceptance and/or use by you, or your partner (if applicable), of any prize, or by any action taken by us or any of our affiliates in accordance with the terms and conditions.
- You acknowledge that the acceptance and use of a prize is subject to the proviso that –
17.1 all of the terms and conditions will apply to both you and your partner (if applicable), and you will ensure that your partner agrees to be bound and complies, and will continue to comply, therewith;
17.2 you will take full responsibility for your partner;
17.3 you indemnify and hold us and our affiliates harmless against any claim by your partner or any third party in the event that your partner suffers any loss or damage pursuant to your partner’s acceptance and/or use of a prize;
17.4 any minor will be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.