Harpoon in our Hearts

Whale of Trail 2021 cannot go ahead on 31 July. Despite Plans B, C, D through Z being proposed to satisfy almost everyone, taking into account regulations, projected amendments and all requests and concerns of athletes and stakeholders, the call has unfortunately been made. “After very careful consideration, CapeNature’s Executive members having met to decide on whether to continue to host the upcoming Whale of Trail, we hereby regret to inform you that, on this… Continue reading


Whether you’re a Whale virgin or you’re back for more of the fantastic WoT experience, some direction with your preparation should always be welcome. We asked Rockhoppin’ Trail coach Linda Doke for tips on where you should be training-wise in the final few weeks before race day, what to expect of the course, and how best to prepare during your build-up so you can make the most of your race experience on 31 July. Linda… Continue reading

Whale of Trail – 16 Jan 2021 – POSTPONED

Whale, that’s a bummer! In light of our President’s speech on the evening of 28 December and the return to an adjusted Level 3 lockdown, we unfortunately need to postpone the Whale of Trail scheduled for the 15/16 Jan 2021. As part of the South African Association of Mountain Endurance Sport (SAAMES), we have ministerial permission to host events under level 1 and 2 lockdown, however this does not extend to level 3. As per… Continue reading

New dates for the 2020 Whale of Trail Event

We have taken the time over the past month to try to get an understanding of how things will progress with the COVID-19 restrictions and what the future will be like for events. Currently the situation in South Africa is critical, with case numbers rising in all corners of our country. We are sympathetic to effects this pandemic is having on everyone. Considering all the factors, we feel it is prudent to postpone the 2020… Continue reading

Merrell Whale of Trail Postponed

What a difference a few months make! We are now almost half way through 2020 and don’t really have any idea when public gatherings will be allowed under the current government restrictions or whether we will actually return to some sort of “normality” this year. Since the last update that we sent on the 4th May, things unfortunately have not opened up as we all hoped they would. We have now taken the decision to postpone the… Continue reading